RE: Hoax Article Accepted by OA Bentham Journal

As I tried to explain in an earlier post, peer review for journal
publishing is (with rare exceptions) left in the hands of the
journal editor and the journal's editorial advisory board; the
publisher generally is not directly involved in the process at
all, but simply "supports" (a term I prefer to "manages") the
system. It is the prerogative of the publisher to "enforce peer
review" indirectly via the contract with the journal editor,
which typically contains a clause that requires the editor to
uphold normal standards of peer review. So an editor who can be
shown not to uphold those standards is subject to dismissal.

For scholarly books, however, the publisher most definitely is
involved in the actual process of peer review through judgments
made by its acquiring editors, the selection by those editors of
external peer reviewers, and the final review of external and
staff reports by a faculty editorial committee (in the case of
university presses). It is therefore fair to describe the book
publishing process as one in which the publisher directly
"enforces peer review."

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press