Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Budget Cuts

These are serious issues, so please do not take my reply as
trivialising them, but from my viewpoint the changes taking place
do not necessarily lead to the collapse of a 'high-quality,
traditional scholarly publishing regime'. The content presently
available through scholarly monographs will still need to be
peer-reviewed and published. Publishing it in a different way
does not necessarily mean that there will be any loss in quality,
nor any diminution in the role of university presses.

It may well be that the model will be based around individual
chapters linked to related periodical articles, because this is a
model which can meet readers' needs, but this model is not
incompatible with the branding of the collected content. This
branding could be on the basis of both subject - as in a
monograph bringing together work by several authors - or branding
by publisher, perhaps a collaboration between a university press
and a journal publisher or a university press and a university
repository. Quality could be ensured either by peer review in the
traditional way or through community peer review after
publication, or a combination of both models. Could the business
model could be built around the packaging and the branding,
covering first copy costs through a low payment for an electronic
copy and asking for a higher payment for print-on-demand? I do
feel that relieving pressure on library budgets through changes
in the way journals are purchased could release funds for
research monograph content under this model.

This model may not be 'traditional' in the sense that it moves
away from the way monograph content has been disseminated for
quite a few years, but it retains the essential elements the
research community has always believed to be important, while
adapting to the new environment. Change need not lead to
collapse.

Fred Friend
JISC Scholarly Communication Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL