From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Kevin L Smith
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:25 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Digital publishing and university presses

I think we need to be careful about what we claim that "everyone
knows." For a three hundred page book to cost just a few cents a
page would require a retail price around $10 - $15.  It has been
many years since academic books cost so little.  A quick check of
five titles selected randomly from the web site of Penn State
University Press yielded an average per page cost of .23 -- far
more than the expense of local printing.  There may well be good
reasons for this, but we should base the discussion on a
realistic view of prices.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Scholarly Communications Officer
Perkins Library, Duke University