Re: Article in "Inside HigherEd"

I had asked a previous poster to identify information resources
that are effectively unavailable to scholars in the U.S.  As no
response has been posted, I'd like to respond respecting legal
scholarly publishing in the U.S.

In the U.S. legal publishing market, there are, I believe, two
categories of materials that at times are effectively unavailable
to U.S. law professors because of expense:

(1) practitioner-oriented materials (periodicals - usually
newsletters - and treatises), and

(2) certain scholarly materials (some monographs - often
festschriften or other article collections - and certain
journals) on international law or the law of non-U.S. countries,
generally published in continental Europe.

Respecting category (1), unavailability is usually no great loss
because with rare exceptions, these materials usually have little
or no scholarly value (the request is often intended to fill a
non-scholarly need, such as for consulting work or a
practice-skills course), and the library can often negotiate with
the law professor to avoid the request or to find an affordable
substitute.

Respecting category (2), these are often high-quality scholarly
materials, and ILL and document delivery at times fail, for any
number of reasons: the work has recently been published and no
library has a copy available for lending, no library in the ILL
network has licensed ILL rights respecting a digital copy, or the
borrowing library has exhausted its copyright limit respecting
the desired journal.

I suspect that in the current economic environment, the number of
titles in category (2) will grow, as more U.S. academic law
libraries cut back on monograph purchasing and the licensing of
costly journals, or they limit the rights they license in order
to reduce cost.

I'd be very interested to know whether either scenario rings true
in other fields, and especially in other professional scholarly
fields.  I suspect the category (1) problem is endemic to
professional fields.

Robert Richards

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net

* Member New York bar, retired status.