Re: OCLC's New License for Bibliographic Records

   richards1000@comcast.net writes

> The Guardian of London
> recently featured an article discussing this matter:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jan/22/library-search-engines-books.

Thank you for posting a link to this. It is a masterfully written review of
the issue. And it suggests, quite subtly, that the policy of restricting
commercial use is a factual metadata database such OCLC's WorldCat is the
wrong thing to do. I have been saying that for years. By restricting
commercial use, OCLC destroy some of the value of the work of their
membership.

I think there are some general lessons that go beyond the case of book
metadata records into the wide issue of constructing and maintaining
metadata datasets. Recently I put some of my thoughts on this matter into a
thinking piece for the ASIST bulletin

http://openlib.org/home/krichel/papers/kuyus.html

Cheers,

Thomas Krichel