Re: Google v. the Web?

The university subsidy of university presses averages about 10
percent of operating expenses.  No university that I am aware of
has an appetite for increasing that subsidy, as open access would
require.  Of the remaining 90% of expenses, most estimates put
sales back to universities through libraries at around 15%; some
put the figures as high as 25%.  (These figures are for books
only and do not include journals.)  Thus having universities
support OA for press titles would significantly increase the
amount of money universities would have to put into their presses
every year (75% of 90%). Whatever the merits of OA for
dissemination and the application of digital tools, it currently
lacks an economic rationale on a broad scale for scholarly books.

Joe Esposito