RE: The House of Cards

Green OA is certainly proliferating, I agree, and there are more
Gold OA journals joining the pack every day. No question that OA
is a success, if you mean by success an increase in the number of
publishing outlets and in the accessibility of journal articles.
But does anyone really know if this means that the quality of
knowledge has increased? What this world doesn't need is more
stuff to wade through to find the good stuff worth spending one's
time reading. I am reminded of an article in Physics Today back
in 1988 that observed that at its then current rate of growth the
Physical Review would soon fill library shelves at a speed faster
than that of light, but that this didn't contradict the theory of
relativity because no information was being conveyed!

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press