Oxford Journals open access pricing adjustments

[Mod Note: This message arrived with heavy encoding, as a growing
number of liblicense-l submissions do.  In some cases, we're able
to take out the encoding characters one by one -- where the
message is mostly legibile -- and in others the message can't be
read or processed and must be deleted.  In this case, apart from
removing many line break and other codes, we also changed the
code "A3" to "pounds," hoping that this is a correct
interpretation. We do our best, but with the greatly increasing
variety of mailers and formats, it REALLY helps -- saves a lot of
time, gets messages through faster -- if they arrive in ASCII,
i.e, plain text. We have subscribers on all the continents and
our aim is to redistribute the messages in a plain format that
everyone, in every country, can read.  Thank you.]

***

The 2008 pricing information for the Oxford Open journals (those
with an optional open access model) has today been amended - some
of the current prices were corporate rates posted in error,
rather than the academic rates which would apply to the majority
of our customers. This has been corrected in the new version,
which can be found online at
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/oxfordopen/2008%20online-only%20price%20adjustments.doc.

We would also like to take this opportunity to clarify how our
online pricing model for journals participating in the Oxford
Open initiative works, using a worked example, in order to ensure
that there has been no misunderstanding. We strive to make our
pricing policy fair and transparent, and to adjust online prices
to reflect the amount of open access versus non-open access
content. However it should be noted that the process of setting
subscription prices is complex, involving many additional factors
aside from open access.

Our standard policy for 2008 is to price the online-only (and
print-only) subscriptions to our journals at 95% of the combined
(print and online) price. In the case of Oxford Open journals, we
have applied a further discount to the 2008 online-only price
based on the amount of open access content published in 2006
(Journal prices for a subsequent year are set at least six months
ahead of each new calendar year, so for Oxford Open journals, we
therefore look at the last full year of open access content).

To illustrate the above process, we've picked one of the Oxford
Open journals, Carcinogenesis.  In 2006, the journal published 8%
of its pages under an open access model.  Under our standard
pricing model, the online-only price would have been Pounds 990
(95% of the combined price of Pounds 1042).  However, with the 8%
open access discount applied, the actual 2008 online price is
Pounds 907. The same process applied in setting the 2007
online-only price, taking 95% of the combined subscription price
and applying an additional 9% discount because that represented
the amount of open access content published in the journal in
2005.

This does not in fact represent an actual price decrease from
2007 to 2008.

Because the 2008 combined price for Carcinogenesis (which forms
the basis for all other adjustments) increased by 5% from 2007
and because similar open access adjustments were applied to both
the 2007 and 2008 online prices, the online-only price still
increased by 5.4%, from Pounds 860 to Pounds 907.

As this example shows, because pricing is dependent on many
factors - including variations in page extent, issue frequency,
and exchange rate adjustments, as well as open access uptake - in
some cases, open access adjustments will not always result in an
actual price decrease from one year to the next. They may in fact
have the effect of simply limiting the price increase to a lesser
amount, as the discount applies to what the standard 2008
online-only price would have been, not to the 2007 online-only
price.

Overall, the average online-only price increase from 2007 to 2008
across all Oxford Journals titles is 6.9%, whereas the average
price increase for Oxford Open titles is 1.7%, with eight out of
the 28 Oxford Open titles seeing an absolute reduction in price
from 2007 to 2008.

Kate Stringer| Assistant Communications Manager
Oxford Journals | Oxford University Press
Great Clarendon Street | Oxford | OX2 6DP
kate.stringer@oxfordjournals.org