From: "David Prosser" <david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 8:11 PM
Subject: RE: Correction (RE: Thatcher vs. Harnad)

Actually, Anthony, I wouldn't have made that point as it would have placed me on a very sticky wicket! When I worked at OUP Nucleic Acids Research did make colour figure charges and The EMBO Journal (which was then published by OUP) had a per page charge for 'excess' pages - to give just two examples. (Of course, Nucleic Acids Research is now an open access journal.)

My point was to show that the 'open access journals erect new financial barriers to authors' argument is too simplistic. Significant numbers of closed access journals require author payments and significant numbers of open access journals require no such charges.

Best wishes

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe