SV: Scanning licences - Swedish experience

Dear Julie,

In the Swedish consortium, BIBSAM, scanning of licences and
publishing them on the consortium web site began in 2005.

The countersigned and completed licence document is scanned using
Adobe Acrobat software and then password protected with access
for the BIBSAM Consortium internal network via the BIBSAM web
site. Their access rights are limited to read and print.
Electronic coping is not permitted.

A concise, standardised, summary of each licence is made
available on the web site for all librarians, students and users
covering usages issues such as ILL rights, inclusion in course
compendiums, walk in use, etc.

One benefit of this process has been to reduce administrative
paperwork, pre

2005 a photocopy of each licence (approx. 35) was sent to each of
the library heads at up to 50 institutions.

Some of the challenges have been -

Dealing with amendments, that is how to incorporate and combine
the yearly amendments and attachments. In this case we decided to
add the extra documentation on at the end of the original licence
rather than have multiple scanned documents relating to the same
licence period.

Deciding on a file naming system, that is how to name and date
the files in an abbreviated yet comprehensible format for the
web.

As a Government authority all the BIBSAM contract negotiation
documentation is filed and archived so the scanned licences are
not a necessity for BIBSAM in terms of archival storage. We do
not currently OCR the documents.

Hope this brief information proves useful.

Contact me if you are interested in any more detail.

Regards,

Philippa Andreasson
Kungli. biblioteket, National Library of Sweden
BIBSAM - National Co-ordination and Development
Box 5039, SE-10241 Stockholm Sweden

_______________________________

Julie Blake <jblake11@jhuadig.admin.jhu.edu> wrote:
(Apologies for duplication).

We're interested in scanning licenses so they're available for
various constituencies and searchable (OCR?) as well. We do not
yet have an ERM, but would like to get started anyway. We know
there have got to be others that are way ahead of us in this
game, so I'm throwing myself upon your tender mercies. Who's
doing this? How? Thoughts, ideas, warnings? Anyone have an open
source solution for organizing or scanning?

Thanks,

Julie C. Blake

Serials & Electronic Resources Acquisitions Coordinator Sheridan
Libraries, Johns Hopkins University julie.blake@jhu.edu