Re: Covert Article Republishing Discovered in Emerald/MCB UP 1989-2003

There is some factual error on the part of Emerald's response (Dual
Publication : Emerald's Response by G. Crawford).  In her response, she
states that duplication occurred from 1989 to 2000.  This is incorrect.
While I may concede that the examples I found in 2002 and 2003 may have
been mistakes, I discovered many duplications through the end of 2001.
MCB changed its name to Emerald in June 2001, so this unethical behavior
is attributable to Emerald as well as MCB.

With regards to the fact that this happened in the past, this is correct.
I am confident that Emerald has changed its ways and does not deliberately
republish articles without full attribution.  Enron, WorldCom and Archer
Daniels Midland and other examples of past corporate maleficence, but
these companies are being held accountable for their past wrongdoings.

My point is that the publishing industry (like every other industry)
requires accountability.  Without accountability, there is no way to
prevent future unethical practices if companies feel that the library and
academic community will simply turn a blind eye.

--Phil Davis