RE: Libraries in Springer Open Choice (a response from Peter Hendriks)

Dear Liblicense Members,

On behalf of Springer a response to Ann Okerson's questions on Springer's
Open Choice policy.

First of all I would like to restate that Springer has decided to provide
authors and funding agencies with the option to either publish articles
via the subscription/licensing model or with upfront payment, making
articles openly accessible via SpringerLink. Both options are offered for
all existing Springer Journals.

As in the past, all journals will have one single institutional
subscription price which will be adjusted on a yearly basis. As stated on
the Springer website, the subscription prices are tied to the amount of
traditionally published, subscription-model content, with adjustments due
to Open Choice content being reflected in the following year's
subscription prices. If for a particular journal all articles in a given
year would be published via the Open Choice option, the following year's
subscription price would be zero.

If adjustments are made to the subscription prices, these will be
applicable for all institutional customers, including libraries with
package arrangements. When authors opt for Springer Open Choice they are
essentially bearing the costs of publication for all potential readers
worldwide, not just for readers from their own institutions.

I would like to state that Springer's guiding principles in determining
the particulars are to be fair to both the authors and our library
customers when making policy. Springer attempts to balance the needs of
the author community for more open access to the literature with the
responsibilities of the library community to provide high quality
searchable content and a sustainable archive.

Peter Hendriks
President of Sales and Marketing
Springer

- on behalf of Peter Hendriks

Alexandra Blondel
Marketing Communications Manager, Library Relations NA
Springer
p - 212.620.8001  F - 212.647.1898
Alexandra.Blondel@springer-sbm.com
www.springeronline.com