RE: Authentication of versions

In a practical sense, it is difficult enough keeping up with literature at
King's average rate of 2/day. If one had to simultaneously keep track of
the 2 or 3 or 20 variant forms, neither reading nor progress will result.
Publication is organized for a purpose, and is not merely random
dissemination.

The authority of a paper comes not only from where it is published (i.e.,
the editor and referees), but also by whom the author is, under whose
direction was it, and at what University. I am told by physicists that
they use arXiv in such a fashion: they go to their subject section, and
look for the names they recognize as authors worth reading. This has an
obvious bias against new authors--but the bias is not absolute, because
the first papers of a new scientist are likely to be co-authored by his
director, and because readers know the institution. In any case, most
peer-review in science is not blind, and the referees know the person and
the institution, giving a similar bias.

Science is about people interacting with ideas. Ideas by themselves have
no creative power. The concept of "good" as discussed by Socrates and
reported by Plato, is what has influenced all later philosophy, not just
the concept itself

The ultimate authority comes from incorporation into the literature; the
early stages of this can be seen in citation studies.  And ultimately it
is incorporated into the science generally and no longer even cited.

But at the beginning, one needs a way to recognize likely work. It's being
in a particular journal has long been a good rough screen. If journals
survive in some form, this will be why.