Re: Versions

Anthony,

The version of record is the one that has been published by BioMed Central
and deposited by BioMed Central in any of the archives with which it has
an official arrangement. There is no problem if they have a different HTML
appearance in those archives -- and they do -- as long as the text,
figures, and additional files (videos, 3D, datasets, et cetera) are
exactly the same.

I don't think that what you call 'vanilla' is what we publish as the final
version. As soon as an article is accepted after peer review (in the
overwhelming majority of cases involving at least one round of revision),
we publish the provisional version (essentially the author's manuscript,
perhaps your 'vanilla' version), which is usually in a week or so replaced
by a fully XML-coded and where necessary corrected final version, and made
available in HTML as well as fully laid-out in two-columns for printing in
the form of a PDF (obviously, the increasingly appended and available
video, 3D and data-files cannot be rendered in a PDF). Take a look at any
of the journals on our site to see what it all looks like:
www.biomedcentral.com

Best,

Jan