Versions

I did not believe that Jan had actually coined this phrase but I have
checked and he did and what a good term "minutes of science" is. As he
points out science is built on previous knowledge.

I have a question for him and for this list. For Professor Harnad and his
disciplines the authentic form of the message of the scientist is the
postprint (as he has named it) - the form of the message that has
(finally) been accepted for publication. This is the so-called vanilla
form. BMC publish this vanilla form. PLOS and the great majority of other
refereed journals go through another iteration before publishing. It is
called "copy-editing" - an unfortunate term because somehow it makes one
thinks of correcting references and putting in commas. Of course
correcting references is necessary to make linking possible. Putting in
commas irons out ambiguities. There are also (as I am sure PLOS staff)
would agree major work necessary to get the paper in final form after the
peer review has done its work. PLOS would not have gone for this extra
expence if they did not find that their community wanted this extra work.

My question for Jan and others is - what is the authentic form of the
minutes when there are two versions with some sort of external
creditation. There is the version in the institutional repository,
accepted by those who run those repositories, and there is the "published"
version. I would suggest that authors see the published version as the
authentic version (though I have no evidence for that other than what the
authors and editors say to me and to other publishers). This is clearly
not a question for BMC because the versions are identical but what do PLOS
and its supporters think?

Anthony Watkinson