Re: Random thoughts on scholarly communication

No need to throw ordure, as you put it, on your thesis. The point is that
the access status and the ownership status of a document are not
equivalent.  Scholarly papers may be in open access, but hard to use
because they require training, or equipment, or bandwidth, or technical
knowhow, to be used, etc..  This does not affect the ownership status in
anyway: the same document can still be in totally open access and still
owned by its authors, or it can be placed in the public domain, or a
company can get hold of it and decide to place it in open access, or to
lock it up behind a high price barrier, etc.

Because research is largely financed by public money, it is quite normal
to imagine that its results might be construed as being a public good and
treated accordingly.

Perhaps commercial publishers should be limited to publishing research
results emanating from private labs that receive no public money. That
might clarify the issues quite a bit, incidentally.

As a scholar, my aim is to be read as widely as possible and be cited as
often as possible, preferably by colleagues. If a librarian is telling me
that he has some ideas as to improve the present situation so as to make
me read more widely without losing status, prestige or authority, I will
not dismiss that librarian; I will, on the contrary, listen to her or him
with some degree of gratitude.

That the librarian's agenda is not identical to the scholar's is obvious;
if they were, librarians would be scholars and vice-versa. No one disputes
some divergence between these two viewpoints. However, one element remains
very clear: librarians and scholars converge far more than do scholars and
publishers.

Jean-Claude Gu�don