Monopolies

> the issue is that monopoly has no place in science (or in a true free
> market, for that matter). The essential elements of competition and
> choice are lacking in the traditional publishing system.

JE:  Wouldn't this also be true of real estate as well?  If you own a lot
in a good commercial neighborhood, isn't that also a "monopoly," in the
sense of this context?  If you control a brand name (Coca Cola or Harvard,
Yale, or Stanford), isn't that a monopoly?  Why the insistence on treating
publishing any differently?

After reading Mr. Velterop's post, I think I am going to publish, say, the
The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Guide to Alternative Medicine &
Herbal Treatments--on principle, citing Mr. Velterop's authority.

Joe Esposito