RE: Wellcome Trust report

I'm afraid this is a red herring. The issue is not that commercial
publishing has no place in science; the issue is that monopoly has no
place in science (or in a true free market, for that matter). The
essential elements of competition and choice are lacking in the
traditional publishing system. Open Access publishing, with choice on the
side of the party with the economic/financial input, restores competition
and so undermines monopolistic exploitation and reduces price and profit
to levels that can be accepted widely as fair.

Publishing has to be seen as a cost of doing research. Without the
resulting publication, the research has just not taken place, to all
intents and purposes. In that sense, the cost of publishing may even be
compared with that of laboratory glassware, reagents, and the like (and
quite possibly a lot cheaper). I haven't heard anyone argue that glassware
and other laboratory expendables should be provided on a non-profit basis.
Why not? They are subject to proper competition!

Jan Velterop