RE: Clarification on misquotation of figure from OSI Guide

Sally

I'm afraid that I don't understand your first sentence.  What I do know is
that the guide authors did not want to mislead readers and that is why
they described the figure as a 'hypothetical example', a 'sample author
fee projection' and a 'simple illustration'

They did not describe the figure as an 'estimate of the average cost of
publishing a paper across all journals' or even as a 'figure for a single
journal'.  Unfortunately it is being quoted as such and that is why there
was felt to be a need to issue a clarification.

Nobody at OSI, SPARC or SPARC Europe is 'backing off' from the figure in
the business guide for the simple reason that none of us every put it
forward as an example of the real costs of publishing a paper!

Our rational approach to costs would be to agree with you that (as you
have pointed on other occasions) there are a wide range of estimates of
the costs associated with the publication of an article.  It is important
that these costs are examined carefully, but throwing a hypothetical
example into the mix does nothing to clarify the issues.

Best wishes

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe