E-access to Elsevier titles

Hi everyone:  A similar email appeared on the Uk lis-e-journals but I am
curious to know about the experience of my US colleagues. We here in the
UK have special deals arranged for universities and other institutes of
higher education with Elsevier and other publishers for electronic titles.

At my university we cannot afford the Science Direct deal negotiated on
behalf of HE with Elsevier, nor can we afford any of the 'bundles'
offered. At best we may be able to select a few titles from our print
collection and go for e-access on an individual basis. However we have
been told that this will cost us 25% of the print subscription extra
because it's outside of the HE deal. I'm sort of assuming that this is the
standard price for e-access to individual print subs. Does anyone know how
Elsevier justify this when other publishers only charge 10-15% of the
print sub for accompanying e-access?

Comments welcome.

Thank you and Best Wishes

Ros Doig