RE: Invitiation to Tender for ALPSP Open Access journals data

analysis project
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:23:49 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

This is, indeed, a matter of serious concern to small societies. Whether
the info is too sensitive to divulge depends, I suppose, on the society.
I can only speak for the Medical Library Association -- for 2002,
production costs for the Journal of the Medical Library Association were
about $160,000.  Revenue was $200,000 ($96,000 in subscriptions and
$104,000 from advertising).  The surplus ($40,000) is used to fund various
member services.  Since the JMLA went open access (via PubMedCentral),
revenue has been declining and we expect that to continue.  How we will
adjust other programs and services to account for that is still under
discussion.

T. Scott Plutchak
Editor, Journal of the Medical Library Association
Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu