Re: pricing of academic journals

On the topic of privacy, please see the International Coalition of Library
Consortia's Privacy Guidelines for Electronic Resources Vendors at
http://www.library.yale.edu/consortia/2002privacyguidelines.html.  This
statement has been endorsed by over 50 library consortia worldwide,
including ELN.

Confidentiality of user data is also specified in the CLIR/DLF model
license agreement on the Liblicense site, under Section IX.

Many governments have enacted privacy legislation in recent years.  My
viewpoint (not having thought a lot about this) is that this is the
general trend (towards greater privacy protection), temporarily set off
track by September 11.

These Protection of Privacy type Acts prevent many libraries from
purchasing electronic information without a guarantee of privacy for the
individual user.

Privacy is, I understand, intended to cover institutional usage as well.
That is, the custom is for a library's usage statistics to be made
available only to that library, or with the library's permission.

hope this helps,

Heather Grace Morrison, BC Electronic Library Network