[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: New Republic letter
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: New Republic letter
- From: Irvin Muchnick <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 05:34:49 EDT
- Reply-To: email@example.com
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the wake of *Tasini*, publishers are indeed using heavy-handed tactics in an effort to drive a wedge between information users and freelance creators; Mr. Goodman is quite right in identifying this as a problem. An excellent article on point is by Barbara Quint (editor of Searcher and columnist for Information Today), which can be viewed at: <http://www.infotoday.com/newsbreaks/nb010716-1.htm> I'm told that my letter in response to Ms. Quint's piece is scheduled for publication shortly. Rather than scooping myself here, I'll distribute it to this list at a later date. - Irv Muchnick --- David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU> wrote: > I certainly agree with Mr. Muchnick, but unfortunately Tasini also > provides publishers with a convenient excuse for not letting libraries > and other users have access to which they are entitled, or to > charge extra and unjustifiable fees for such access. It also is letting > them hold us and the readers hostage while they negotiate with the > authors for the fair payments to which the authors are entitled. > This note is meant just as a warning that we should be on guard against > this. "It's prohibited by Tasini" will join "It's prohibited by > copyright" among the excuses for attempts to narrow or eliminate fair > use. Our best response as librarians is to change our attitude > from "it isn't fair use unless we can be sure it is" to "it is fair use > unless we can be sure it isn't". > > As you can tell, I'm not a lawyer and this is not intended as legal > advice. > > David Goodman > Princeton University
- Prev by Date: Re: Fwd: Publishers' licenses for e-journals accessed throughCatchword, Ingenta et al.
- Next by Date: Re: Fwd: Publishers' licenses for e-journals accessed throughCatchword, Ingenta et al.
- Prev by thread: Re: New Republic letter
- Next by thread: Bowker Limitation of Liability