RE: electronic journals CCC

Hi, Anthony --

> I really am not up to speed on US legislation but could not be seen as
> rather like the Tasini case? You cannot assume that rights given in print
> are automatically given in electronic (which was what the newspapers did)
> and as far as exceptions to copyright protection (which is what fair use
> is about) surely the legislation assumes print.

The big difference between fair use and the Tasini case, I think, is that
with Tasini you're dealing with a question of the copyright itself
changing hands from author to publisher.  Fair use describes acceptable
use by those who do NOT hold the copyright, but who are making "fair use"
of someone else's copyrighted work.

Rick

-------------
Rick Anderson
Electronic Resources/Serials Coordinator
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 No. Virginia St.
Reno, NV  89557
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273
FX  (775) 784-1328
rickand@unr.edu

"A revolution involves a change in structure;
a change in style is not a revolution."
        -- Karl Marx