[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
- Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 07:40:47 EDT
- Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
My personal opinion is that these are tolerable for free databases, but not if any charge is made for the material. At the very least, I would insist on a contractual limit on size, frequency, location, and presentation (no blinking or animation). For journals, etc., where the ads are an intrinsic part of the items then I would feel otherwise, and would prefer that they be included, just as I include them in binding paper copies. An interesting related case is the acceptability of putting links to book dealers in the online catalog. I can see how the users might find them useful; I believe some such dealers offer the library a small percentage of the purchases made. I cannot decide if this is a fatal compromise of our integrity, or an inevitable coming to terms with reality. David Goodman Biology Librarian, and Co-Chair, Electronic Journals Task Force Princeton University Library firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/ phone: 609-258-3235 fax: 609-258-2627 ____ GenAnnual@aol.com wrote: > Colleagues, > > I need your opinion. An online database vendor has asked me if librarians > would accept or object to their placing banner ads, visible to library > patrons, on licensed databases hosted by their company? > > What would be your reaction? Not care; accepting; would cancel the > subscription or? I take it that they feel they could charge lower fees if > they had the additional revenue from the ads. > > What's your feeling?
- Prev by Date: Microsoft Reader Review
- Next by Date: Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- Prev by thread: RE: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- Next by thread: Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?