[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: A question of licences and Alumni members--FREE ACCESS?
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: A question of licences and Alumni members--FREE ACCESS?
- From: Scott Wicks <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:23:30 EDT
- Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
I keep hearing the word "free" thrown about. I don't think that those of us considering offering access to alumni intend to offer this access free of charge. While it may be nice to generate a bit of extra income, most of us are hoping to offer our alums library services on a cost-recovery basis. The infrastructure necessary to offer alumni access to the library services they've left behind definitely has a price tag attached to it--one that I don't believe we wish to subsidize at the expense of the services offered to current student, staff, and faculty users. We know that there are alumni out there who want access to our collections, reference staff, and databases. Among others things, we need to learn: 1. how many there are who want these services. 2. how much they are willing to pay for us to package this access for them. 3. what infrastructure we need in order to offer these services. 4. what are the licensing and copyright issues. 4. if, and to what degree, their having this access undermines the information providers' revenue streams by competing with corporate accounts. (Keep in mind that many information providers offer different levels of their products--one level for academics and another level that may be much richer for their corporate customers--Lexis/Nexis vs. Academic Universe.) 5. the extent to which our offering this access has a negative impact on the alumnus' home public library. We will not find answers to these and additional questions without further study and further study is what some of us intend to do. Wish us good luck. --Scott Wicks PH: 607 255-4960 FAX: 607 255-6110 *********************************************** Scott B. Wicks *** Acquisitions Librarian *** Cornell University Library *** 110A Olin Library *** Ithaca, NY *** 14853-5301 *** ____ *** - *** *** *** ***
- Prev by Date: Re: A question of licences and Alumni members
- Next by Date: Re: A question of licences and Alumni members
- Prev by thread: agreement: Dutch academic libraries and Elsevier Science
- Next by thread: (Fwd) Re: A question of licences and Alumni members