Re: archiving thoughts

To me there is very little difference among the scenarios the Kimberly
Parker lists. The real problem is the technical one -- keeping the
material accessible by the current browsers (or tools). But, let's
blithely assume that this will be done -- although I am sure we will lose
a lot of material before we realize what it takes to plan for really long
term preservation and access in the electronic world.

One statement is a problem -- and will be for most publishers She assumes
that most material will eventually be available in the public domain --
which implies that everyone can make whatever use of the material that
they wish. This will not happen before the copyright runs out.

However, and maybe this is what Kimberly meant to say, access to most
material probably will (and should) be made available for free, but the
publisher will certainly want to retain the copyright -- if only to make
different versions and derivative works.

The rest of the scenario makes reasonable sense. For academic material (in
the sciences), only the latest information will serve the researcher. So
the incentive to purchase the latest version is a strong one. Making the
older material available for free (but not for commercial re-use) serves
as advertising for the latest edition. It makes great sense for publisher
to do that.

Whether the material is in serial form, or integrated edition form (which
we will soon get away from in the interconnected Web world), or the loose
leaf form (which will come to dominate in the Web world) is relatively
unimportant. The driving force is that the latest edition is important to
have.

But, this discussion bothers me because it is based on treating the
electronic material as if it were simple static information on paper. The
real evolution will be away from simple words on paper (or on the screen)
and into interactive information, live math, equations into which a user
can plug her data, 3-D visions with which the user can interact, up to the
minute databases of small chunks of information which are assembled upon
request for each user from the latest information from a whole variety of
Web sources -- information not just from one publisher, but from many
sources.

This is the world we should be preparing for -- and it is a lot harder to
understand what to do. But, let's not take up too much time discussing how
to handle a situation which will not be relevant in five years.
Peter B. Boyce    -   Senior Consultant for Electronic Publishing, AAS
email: pboyce@aas.org
Summer address:                                Winter: 4109 Emery Place,
33 York St., Nantucket, MA 02554        Washington, DC 20016
Phone:  508-228-9062                           202-244-2473