Libraries and archiving (Re: RE: If electronic is to replace paper)

> Whether
> this is "fair" or not seems beside the point.  The question comes down to
> "what is the best deal we can work out?"  If we can get electronic access in
> perpetuity for no more than the initial purchase price of the paper, and the
> publisher is agreeable, why would we turn down such a good deal?

Hey, I'm with you.  If we can get such a deal, then we should take
advantage of it.  And if you find a deal like that, one for which the
guarantees of perpetual access seem as trustworthy as the arrangements
you'd make yourself and provided at a reasonable price, I hope you'll tell
me about it.

----------------------
Rick Anderson
Head Acquisitions Librarian