Re: If electronic is to replace paper

I agree that some very good ideas have been expressed, and the idea of
libraries archiving electronic journals opens a 55-gallon drum of worms.
For example, publishers would have to relinquish some of their copyright
issues in order to permit libraries to store, refresh, and migrate the
"intellectual property" of the journals. Would it be okay for us to store
them on CD-ROMs, servers, diskettes, in paper format, etc., and what about
when new storage/retireval media become available could we transfer the
information to another medium without violating copyright, or what about
merging that data with data from a similar e-journal and whipping up a
search-type of software ... obviously the legal implications could get
quite complex for archiving. In the past it has been simple -- we paid for
one copy, bound it, and warehoused it. Now situations are far from simple!

P V Picerno
Dr. Peter V. Picerno
Collection Development Team Leader
Dean B. Ellis Library