RE: If electronic is to replace paper

Some very good ideas have been expressed.  However, why are libraries now
advocating publishers or disinterested third parties archive electronic
journals?  Libraries need to, in my opinion, archive and maintain access
to the electronic journals they have subscribed to.  If we consider the
electronic version optimal choice for our users, then we must learn how to
manage them in perpetuity.  Personally, I do not believe libraries need to
pay vendors, publishers, or others a fee to refresh the data or the
technology.  Again, once libraries have paid for the subscription, the
artifact should be ours.

Sorry to be ornery, but an electronic version does not have to be an
equivalent of the print version.  Advertisements, certain types of
announcements such as calls for papers, conference dates, etc. and other
parts of a print journal do not need to be included in the electronic
version.  I do not think it is necessary to continue the same paradigm in
the electronic versions as have been used in the print.  Certainly, links
and enriched contents need to be continued and promoted, but more
importantly are the need for helpful navigation tools and the ability to
quickly return to one's starting point, without having to backtrack
endlessly.

___