follow up on Science Online access and pricing issues

Lloyd,

You are correct that institutional usage reports will not include
information about how personal subscribers accessed the system. However,
personal subscribers who accessed Science Online through one of the
institution's IP addresses would still be counted in the institution's
access numbers, just not identified as personal subscribers. And of
course, other sorts of personal use of the system--either from computers
outside your network or for services (like citation alerts) not included
in the institutional service packages--will not be included in an
institution's usage reports because they are not properly the
institution's business.

And just a word on developing other models. I seriously doubt you will
find another website for a scientific journal that offers more ways of
getting at the content than Science, and a wider variety of pricing
arrangements. We have, as you have noted, both personal subscriptions to
Science Online and institutional subscriptions in the library workstation
and site wide model.  We also have a pay-per-view system whereby an
individual can purchase a single article for $5, or access to the *entire
site* for one day for $10.  And we continue to develop other access
models, which I can't go into here, because they are not ready for prime
time! I realize all this choice makes things terribly complex, but in the
end, I suspect that a journal with such a broad base of readers as Science
can do no less than provide choices which address different market
segments.

Now, about pricing: Lloyd, I've pointed out before, and will undoubtedly
do so again, that it is simply inaccurate to say that Science Online
pricing is set to insure AAAS against the potential loss of personal
subscriptions to the print product. In fact, we depend far more heavily on
personal subscriptions for revenue than we do on libraries (which I
realize is not the usual case in scientific publishing), and I assure you,
if we set the prices to cover our potential personal subscription losses,
they would be much higher. It might be reasonably said that there is a
'risk premium' included in the pricing, but mainly that is just
'insurance' against the loss of *library* subscriptions to print, not
personal subs (which is why we provide some discounting, though a moderate
amount, to libraries that agree to retain print). The far more important
driver of the pricing is still the projected size of the 'buyer' market
for site-wide access to Science Online. It is a smallish market, though we
are very pleased with the progress we have made in bringing Science Online
to institutions during this year.

I realize that, whatever the *reasons* for the pricing, there are
organizations that simply can't afford the prices we set. So I don't mean
at all to seem confrontational or insensitive about the difficulty it
poses for some libraries. During 1999, we have also been exploring ways to
bring the prices for site-wide access down. We work with consortia, and
have been able to provide substantial discounts under some circumstances
(generally, when the group really acts as one buyer, and when it contains
a substantial number of smaller organizations, the discount will be
steepest). We also are prepared to discuss some discounts for libraries
that agree to maintain a number of print institutional subscriptions. In
2000, there will be no price increase, though we continue to enrich the
product. Also in 2000, we hope to begin trying out package buys, where
institutions that need a whole range of products from AAAS--print Science,
Science Online, Science's Next Wave, and (coming soon!) the Signal
Transduction Knowledge Environment--would receive one price that provides
a much better rate than the sum of all the list prices for those products
(but we're not quite ready for this yet, folks!).  And one other thing:
we're looking very seriously at both interim and long-term solutions to
the archiving problem, which we would expect to provide to site-wide users
at no additional charge. In short, we're doing what we can, considering
the relatively small size of the market that needs site-wide access, to
keep Science Online prices reachable.

Mike Spinella