RE: Journal start-ups

Responding to Alan Edelson's comments about new journal start-ups:

Both publishers and editors of new journals undertake such endeavors
because they truly believe that these publications will make a
contribution to the field -- as well as the literature.  Indeed, because
there are so many journals, it is difficult to launch important new
periodicals today. Highly-respected members of the biomedical community
only agree to serve in the capacity of Editor if they are convinced that
the publication will be a worthy and enduring endeavor.

Most of these Editors will consult with their colleagues before they
accept this responsibility, asking them to challenge the assumption of yet
another journal. The colleagues who agree to serve on the editorial board
know that they are expected to make an on-going commitment to the
recruitment of high-quality manuscripts and participation in the review
process.  Both demand commitment, time, and participation that does not
end with the last issue of the first our second volume. The compensation
for such work is minimal for the effort this entails..

During Dr. Edelson's tenure at Raven and Lippincott, it was easier to
assemble an editorial board because many who were asked serve on editorial
boards agreed more readily, and in some cases, merely by lending their
names to support the effort of a friend or close colleague.  This is not
the case today.

Today, the number of published papers today counts less than the quality
of papers, in terms of terms of academic advance-ment and tenure
Publishers do not determine a journal acquisition editor's success based
on the number of journals they start.  Those days also passed many moons
ago.

It is very expensive to start journals.  And, publishers will not make
profits on journals that are not well received, respected, and subscribed
to. Last, but not least, is the issue of society self-publishing and
control. A journal that is independent of a society is completely free
from cumbersome politics that may come into play, including editorial
appointments. In fact, the Editors of independent journals may have the
broadest authority to accept or reject papers, without worrying about
political considerations.

				Mary Ann Liebert
				President, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
				www.liebertpub.com