Re: Electronic availability

You are asking for just the sort of data I would like to see as well. Let
me join in urging libraries with available data to post them on the web
and announce their availability.

Let me repeat that I would like to see all libraries, and research
libraries in particular, be able to offer all users electronic versions of
all published journals from all publishers. However, there is no
financially feasible method of doing this yet, though possibilities have
been discussed on this list and elsewhere. Given our limited resources, we
are forced make choices about what to provide by purchase and what to
provide more indirectly. For a research library, I think it is valid to
purchase emphasizing the material most valuable for the current and future
research (and teaching) needs of our institutions. This can best be
judged, in my opinion, by unbiased use studies and by citation analysis;
this data must however be intelligently analyzed by keeping aware of
subject field, institutional, and publication pattern developments.  I
agree with Donnie Curtis's analysis of some possible biases due to
differential availability. I do not think, though, that it should not be
interpreted to deny that there is in fact real differences between the
quality and usefullness of different titles in a subject.

Do those providing the full range of titles from a single publisher at the
expense of resources from other publishers think they would do as well if
they chose their journals by random selection from Ulrichs? If not, they
must be implicitly judging that the items published by the selected
publisher are in some sense better than any other possible use of the
money.

I will try to do some case studies over the next few weeks; though I may
post them to more specialized lists, I will keep this list informed.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and
Co-Chair, Electronic Journals Task Force
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627