Re: Elsevier and cancellations

Tony,

I think your point is exactly right. Libraries do not have any more money.
If we get away from journal based subscriptions and on to article based
databases, then our patrons can read exactly what they want, not just what
we selected for them in advance. Hopefully the costs will be about the
same or less. If we depart from the jounral based system we can reduce
infrastructure costs like binding, check in, shelving cost, reshelving
costs etc. We can convert these infrastructure costs to added purchase of
articles. We subscribed to Science Directs for these exact reasons. We
feel the PEAK trial proved this point for us.

Paul Gherman
University Librarian
Vanderbilt University

" Libraries don't have any more money now than in
the past but we can spend it differently.  That is my
argument.  tony"

_______