Re: Publishers' Roles: was, re: STM April white paper comments

The general intent of my remarks is not that different from Tony's views.

When I guessed that the eventual survival would be in the range of 50%, I
meant this to say that I was guessing that journals *would* remain
important, that they would *not* completely disappear, and that those
saying (as some prominent individuals at NIH and elsewhere do) that only
one or two print journals need survive, are probably *wrong*.  However,
any commercial or society publisher that imagines that all their journals
are excellent and will be survirors is not being realistic.

I do think Tony is unduly pessimistic about the technology. I suggest that
the provision for adequate equipment will be part of basic library
facilities, and that the overall quality will improve.

I suggest that the subject of validation and peer review is really a
separate issue. We can have printed journals without peer review; we can
have informal posting with added layers of peer review. We can have the
current pattern of secret peer review; we can have open review; we can
have alternative validation schemes. This is a fascinating question in
academic policy, but it does not depend on the form of publication.
Similarly questions about tenure and grant funding are separate; they are
highly important, but can be managed (well or poorly) with any form of
publication.

What is important to both Tony and myself, and is easily neglected by some
administrators, is that libraries continue to provide information in the
available forms while encouraging better systems.

____

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library