Re: digest 245

I've been reviewing the Court decision on this and related issues since 3
decisions were issued simultaneously last month.  If the decision holds
(and it seems to be a trend for the current Court), it has at least 4
ramifications for state universities:

1.  The decisions seem to apply to all federal laws, not just intellectual
property.  This would include labor law for example, since one of the
companion cases dealt with application of the Fair Labor Standards Act to
the State of Maine.

2.  The decisions do not exempt us from the federal laws; but they do say
that private individuals cannot sue states in federal court due to the
doctrine of sovereign immunity.  Federal agencies themselves can still
bring enforcement actions against states and state universities.

3.  Some state legislatures that consider themselves "consumer-friendly"
or "labor friendly"  have probably already waived sovereign immunity in
certain legal areas; you can expect more to do so as a result of these
decisions.

4.  The decisions was issued on a 5-4 vote, split sharply along
ideological lines, with conservatives holding the balance on a
controversial point of view.  The decisions reversed decades of
constitutional interpretation on the issue of sovereign immunity for
states.  They went back to a pre-Civil War point of view.  If a Democrat
is elected President next year and has a chance to make Supreme Court
appointments, the balance could tip back the other way.

I hope this helps put the issue into some context.

============================
Michael Rancer
Chief Administrative Officer
The Library