Re: supreme court ruling

Two source sites shared with me by colleagues in our libraries:
  http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/lutzker.html

  http://www.iupui.edu/~copyinfo/immunity.html is the Kenneth Crews
      reading of these cases.

  --Michele Newberry

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:31:26 EDT you said:
>Greetings -
>
>        In the August 2 issue of Business Week, on page 74, there is an
>opinion piece that discusses a recent ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court.
>The case was Florida Prepaid Postsecondary Education Expense Board vs.
>College Savings Bank.
>
>        According to the piece, the state of Florida, in responding to a
>patent infringement suit by the bank, claimed that states are
>constitutionally immune from federal intellectual-property laws under the
>doctrine of sovreign immunity.  The high court agreed and ruled in favor
>of the state of Florida.
>
>        The column goes on to state that the ruling may mean that states,
>including all their subsidiary agencies such as universities and colleges,
>have a free pass to ignore federal intellectual-property laws and can
>freely copy copyrighted works, appropriate registered trademarks for their
>own use and violate patents without fear of suit.
>
>        Has anyone read the court's decision?
>
>Thanks,
>George.

Michele Newberry                                      352/392-9020
Assistant Director for Library Services           fax 352/392-9185
Florida Center for Library Automation (FCLA)          www.fcla.edu
2002 NW 13th Street, Suite 320                    webluis.fcla.edu
Gainesville, FL 32609                   fclmin@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu