Re: privacy@wiley.com

I think this reply misses the real point of why personal identification is
not acceptable. It's not just a question of the publisher using the
information for advertising, or even of the publisher potentially
re-selling the information for others to use for advertising--and I know
Wiley has certainly said they will never do that.

The fundamental problem as I see it is that the information is not secure
against legal process. Most libraries have decided that their patrons have
the right for their library use to be totally private, and therefore do
not retain circulation information; indeed, in most states they are by law
not even permitted to do so. This should apply even more to use of
material within the library, as in reading a journal (print or
electronic). This is relevant not only to the (I hope) remote possibility
of government interference, but also to matters involving, for example,
patents: the possibility of subpoena in civil litigation exists for any
commercially relevant field. I think we are all aware by now that the only
reliable way to protect this information is to not collect it in the first
place.

Looking at it another way, I question whether we can justifiably evade
this problem by supplying the publisher with incorrect information, or for
advising our patrons to do so. Some contracts specifically prohibit the
use of pseudonyms, and in any case I am a little uncomfortable with this,
especially when there are more straightforward solutions.

All this is my *personal* view only, though I suspect some of my colleagues
here agree.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627