RE: Developing impossible situation, Re: Authority to sign licenses

You are correct.  The issue, then, is how to find out that a publisher has
offered more favorable terms in a subsequent license, so that you can take
advantage of those terms.  There's not much chance the publisher is going
to let you know if they are giving new subscribers better terms than you
got when you entered your subscription agreement.  One solution might be
to adopt a policy of selective review/renegotiation.  If you're happy with
the terms you got, it's probably not worth the time/cost to review terms
annually, but if you have licenses that contain restrictive terms that are
problematic for you, you might want to invest in attempts to renegotiate
those on an annual basis.

Terry Cullen
Electronic Services Librarian
Seattle University School of Law Library
950 Broadway Plaza, Tacoma, WA  98402-4470
Email:  tcullen@seattleu.edu
Phone:  253-591-7092  FAX:  253-591-6313