Re: Authority to sign licenses: How much staff time?

At 10:57 PM 3/1/99 EST, Fred Friend wrote:
>Steve Cramond's message brought a wry smile to my face, because like
>others I have tended to think that the spread of model licences will save
>us all a lot of time......even with a good model licence like the
>PA/JISC Model Licence (which can be seen on the Liblicense Web site), we
>are spending a lot of time adapting it for the particular situation of
>NESLI, our national purchasing arrangement for electronic journals. The
>pressure to change clauses in the model licence for this particular
>situation is not coming from the academic community but from solicitors
>representing interested parties. It still helps to have the framework of
>the model licence in place but let nobody be under the illusion that the
>existence of a model licence reduces the signing of a licence to a
>formality.

Fred's point about using model licences - such as NESLI's - is a good one,
and I didn't mean to suggest that individual libraries or consortia should
spend a lot of time re-inventing that particular wheel.

I am still interested, though, in discovering how much time individual
libraries are spending on the process of negotiating, or renegotiating,
with publishers/vendors the acceptance of the terms of a model licence.

Even in the UK, with the NESLI licence, I assume that individual libraries
are still going to be left to pursue negotiation with publishers not now
involved with NESLI or CHEST?

Regards,

Steve Cramond
Electronic Information Resources Librarian
University of Adelaide Library

eMail: scramond@library.adelaide.edu.au
Phone: +61 8 8303 3629
Fax: +61 8 8303 4369
Postal Address: University of Adelaide Library, Adelaide SA 5005,
Australia