Re: Proposed Haworth Press e-journal Policies

I would like to follow up on the 3 IP address limitation. Besides Haworth,
similar restrictions have come from some other publishers, mainly from the
UK. The key current advantage of E-journals, in my view, is their
availability outside the library. The other advantages--searching, easier
printing, links--are all nice bonuses at this point.

Haworth does not specify whether the three address they permit are class b
(111.111.*) or class c (111.111.111.*) or individual machines
(111.111.111.111), and I have seen publishers propose each of these.
Since at large academic institutions, there are a number of possible users
of a particular title, generally dispersed over several buildings, and
since ip addresses are often assigned according to no particular pattern,
even a restriction to a small number of class b addresses is not workable.

Though I do not like it, I am willing to accept providing access to a
limited number of machines as a free bonus to a print subscription. We
have a number of these set up to a designated library machine, and they
are useful in dealing with requests for copies at the bindery.

But if I am expected to pay money, I expect the whole campus. (I will
admit that I've myself made a few exceptions. One is for Science Online,
where the $25/machine supplement seems an acceptable measure to deal with
what demand there is until the publisher accepts affordable campus
pricing. Another is with a few UK titles of particular importance but
narrow scope, where we have been able to negotiate with the publisher to
establish an adequate address range.)

There are also a few publishers who will provide both limited and campus
access, but ask a price of double or more the print price for the campus
access. (Current Biology is one that used to--it has now simplified its
price structure by refusing to accept institutions subscriptions to the
electronic version at all. Although it has been recently bought by
Elsevier, it is not yet included in Science Direct.) I do not consider
this realistic in terms of library budgets, and I have always regretfully
said no, and making sure the faculty knows why.

There does seem to be a solution in this particular case, since Haworth
will accept password access: hide the password in a script. Even if their
password policy limits use to one user at a time, that should not be a
problem for most titles in most institutions.

All this is my opinion, not necessarily Princeton's.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627