RE: Proposed Haworth Press e-journal Policies

For the first time on this discussion group I also want to add my view.
The note from Mr. Watkinson said much of what we all know - big investment
in moving to electronic environment, new costs from new environment, etc.
No news here.  The concern that librarians and users have in my corner is
not so much that publishers make information available free or cheaper in
electronic than in print, rather that they stop and consider the
environment separately.  We cannot should not continue to base our
electronic access and use on the older print publication model.  Also, I
most certainly do not want to be required by a publisher to maintain a
certain print subscription price minimum in order to obtain access to
electronic information.  These 2 commodities need to be split, as the
print/video world has always recognized, for example.

Please stop and carefully consider pricing in the electronic world as a
separate commodity, considering all elements necessary to keep a good
business environment in the publishing house, which in turn should be an
element of the quality of the publication.  Also, please do not ask that
the first libraries and users to move into this new environment re-pay the
complete investment you have made in the new environment. This must be a
payback over time, and not overnight.

Regards,
Joanna Tousley-Escalante

*	Head Technical Services Unit