Re: A thought about H.R. 2281

I would agree that academic authors do not expect to be paid for most
of their publications.  In fact some are still paying page charges to
see their material in print.  (Obviously this does not apply to
authors of textbooks and like material.)  In most academic settings
I know of, faculty publication is taken into account as a vital
aspect of tenure, promotion, salary and allocation of other
resources.  It is also a major factor in obtaining grants for many
faculty in subject areas where grants provide substantial funding.
It is fairly common for research and publication to be seen as
conditions of employment.  And academic authors are normally involved
in education; publication is easily seen as an aspect of educating
others (including "giving back to the profession").

It is for these reasons that I am still hopeful that a long term
solution will be to return to past practices of universities and
associations (or consortia of such) of direct publication of academic
works, removing the commercial middle man.  The move to digital
information might enable such a development.  On the other side, the
increasing demand for interactivity of electronic resources may
move us even further in the direction of consolidation of academic
publications in the hands of a few fabulously profitable commercial
publishers.