Threaded Index

Re: Using Subscription Agents

> John Campbell (Bibliography of Asian Studies) asks the following:
> as $1200 for a big research university, and the idea of our paying
> somebody $120 a year for sending in a little form seems excessive to me.
> On the other hand, I can understand that this way is convenient for
> librarians (and for all I know the agents might generate some
> subscriptions for us.
>
> Can librarians again give me some useful advice?  A reply to the group
> is okay since I'm a member.

may I point out that notwithstanding what agents may say, from my
experience in publishing they generally cannot afford to refuse to fill
orders from their steady clients just because they do not get the 10%
commission they like to consider "standard". Increasingly, as prices for
subscriptions have risen, publishers have dropped commission
percentages, some to 5%, a few to less. After all, it takes just as much
[mostly computerized] effort on the part of the agent to renew a $100
subscription as it does a $1,000 subscription. If the agent feels
pinched, he usually adds a bit to the price billed to clients. Some do
not.

As for generating sales for you, in my experience agents talk a great
line, but generate little if anything in incremental sales. Their margins
and internal structures do not permit anything like real marketing. Their
role is basically to save libraries and other clients paperwork by
consolidation. They also save publishers similar [mostly computerized]
efforts for renewal of subscriptions. Whether such putative savings to a
publisher are worth the commission cut in this computer age is debatable.
-Alan M. Edelson, Ph.D.

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer