Threaded Index

RE: Using Subscription Agents

Librarians have the same problem with electronic products (journals,
newsletters, bibliographies, databases) as we do their print
counterparts - the sheer number of them and variety of models used to
sell them.  I work in a health sciences library and we have made the
decision that we will take care of the process for those journals to
which we have FREE access because we also subscribe to the print
version.  We have a list of almost 100 titles in the category and are
adding 10 to 30 titles a week.  We are investigating letting a
subscription agent handle the rest.  I have heard that EBSCO has
identified 50 different pricing policies, so far, for electronic
journals.  I don't know about other serial/collection development units,
but ours is certainly not equipped to manage that kind of load.  Not to
mention the fact that one PO going through the university's accounting
department is certainly more cost effective than processing hundreds of
bills for different electronic or print journal titles.  It all boils
down to a question of volume and how much one library can handle.

Jack T. Smith, Jr.						(email)
jsmith@uab.edu
Associate Director for Access Services		(voice) 205-934-3306
The Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences	(fax) 205-975-8313
The University of Alabama at Birmingham	Wise Saying:  Moderation in all
things,
Birmingham, AL  35294-0013
including moderation

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense