Threaded Index

Re: Model Licenses; Liblicense Software

I can report on the latest stage of work from the UK group.   We have
reconvened and are trying to produce a 'toolkit' consisting of three things:

1 - A standardised framework (rather more fleshed out than a simple 'heads
of agreement') which might be adopted, both by those using wording from the
original 'model licence' and by those writing their own licences.

2 - A number of completed examples of licences for particular, common
situations (such as a library licensing one or more journals from a
publisher, or licensing a networkable CD-rom, or obtaining a licence to
create its own digitised version of a text original).   For these we are
boiling down the wording in the original model (which we all agree was too
long, complex and legalistic) to the absolute bare minimum which our legal
colleagues on both sides consider acceptable.

3 - An agreed set of definitions which can be referred to in licences, and
does not therefore need to be included in every licence in its entirety
(though we do envisage a handful of key definitions being present).

We happen to think that the existence of these tools and the knowledge that
they are basically acceptable to both publishers and libraries will mean
that there are far fewer instances where the time and money of both parties
is wasted in unnecessary negotiation about the non-financial terms and
conditions.

We are optimistic about completing this stage of our work by the summer, at
which point I'm sure we'll want to share the outputs as widely as possible
and gather further international feedback.

Sally Morris

At 03:04 23/04/98 -0400, you wrote:
>What an interesting message from Edward Barrow, given that as he says, "my
>loyalties tend to lie with rights holders." He proposes that librarians
>should develop their own license contracts, thus giving a perfect segue
>for a message about LIBLICENSE PHASE II.  As you've read here before, with
>funding once again from the Council on Library and Information Resources
>(CLIR, formerly CLR), weUve gone ahead to develop a downloadable generic
>licensing software (of the sort that one can now buy to create
>personalized wills and other types of straighrforward legal documents).
>Rod Stenlake, the contract attorney who has done the development work, has
>now achieved beta-mode and a few of you are testing the software for us
>(we would welcome a couple more librarians and a couple more publishers,
>if you could take the software for a roadtest for us in the next month or
>so to see if it performs as you would like it).  It is our hope to make it
>available on the LIBLICENSE web site before the beginning of the fall
>semester.
>
>The LIBLICENSE software will be downloadable onto Windows95 and NT
>operating systems.  The software is based on our observation during
>reading dozens or hundreds of licenses, that nearly all electronic
>resource licenses/contracts follow a standard format.  This standard
>sequence, with (what we hope is) relatively bias-free language, allows the
>creator of the license, either a publisher licensing TO libraries or a
>library licensing FROM a provider, to move rapidly through a set of
>standard terms and fill them in, make choices, and add free-form text as
>necessary.  ItUs easy to use and covers the territory.  We forsee it as
>both an educational tool and one that simplifies the lives of those who
>are seeking straightforward contract language.  It does provide a simple,
>straightforward format and language that can be readily understood by
>anyone.  It does not seek to be a 'model' in the sense of the UK efforts,
>but it seeks to be a template that works for most circumstances.
>
>(What news from the UK model license front these days?)
>
>Now, this license software is an interface or overlay to the large array
>of topics covered in the standard license.  It helps express specifics of
>clauses such as use, users, liabilities, etc., etc.  What it cannot do,
>and what no model or software can do, is resolve the underlying issues.
>These still need to be done between the negotiating parties.  Nonetheless,
>having a standard structure for doing so should advance all of our work --
>or so we and the CLIR hope.
>
>If you are interested in doing a roadtest for us, please respond to this
>list, which Rod and I monitor/moderate.  We could surely use the services
>of a few of you, though if we are inundated with interest, we will have to
>politely say no to some of our readers.  Remember that you need to be
> [...]

Sally Morris
Director of Copyright and Licensing
John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Baffins Lane, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 1UD
Tel:    01243 770365     Fax:    01243 770429      Email:  smorris@wiley.co.uk

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer