Threaded Index

Model Licences

I agree with Ann that Edward Barrow's approach is very interesting.

On what is happening in the UK, the JISC/PA discussions are continuing. The
Model Licence and Fair Dealing reports are being re-visited in the light of
comments received, and a new Working Party is being set up to attempt to
resolve the problem of electronic ILL. The re-visitation of the Fair
Dealing Report is taking the form of drafting guidelines which libraries
could use on a day-to-day basis. I am not on the Model Licence group so I
am not up-to-speed on what is happening there, but my impression is that
the model licence will not be used as it is but will be used to influence
later developments. For example the drafting of the licence for NESLI, the
National Electronic Site Licence Initiative, is being informed by the
JISC/PA model licence, but it is also being informed by the ICOLC
Principles and the JISC/PA Fair Dealing Report. Although we have gone about
it a different way, I think this has resonances with the Liblicense
template approach, in that we are no longer thinking of one model licence
which suits all needs but a number of sources which can be used to build up
a licence for a particular purpose. The NESLI licence will be used by the
Managing Agent we are appointing (public announcement on this next week) to
negotiate with publishers. In that sense it follows Edward Barrow's
approach, in that the draft NESLI licence sets out what the libraries will
be expecting to receive for whatever price is negotiated. On the other hand
we do not want to tie the Managing Agent's hands completely, and some
aspects of the NESLI licence will be negotiable.

The important point I think is that publishers and librarians are learning
more about how to handle agreements on licences. Hopefully we are getting a
more flexible approach from all parties while also achieving more
uniformity. We have moved away from the concept of each licence being
different, but we have also moved away from the "take-it-or-leave-it"
approach of only one possible licence, whether publisher-originated or
librarian-originated.

Fred Friend

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frederick J.Friend,
Director Scholarly Communication,
c/o Graduate School,
North Cloisters,
University College London,
Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT,
England.
Telephone +44 171 380 7090
Mobile phone   0385 921 774
Fax           +44 171 380 7043
E-mail       ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk   or    f.friend@ucl.ac.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback