Threaded Index

Fwd: Re: Ads in online journals

If I remember the original comment correctly, it was about an aggregator
offering pricing relief based upon the inclusion of advertising. If
correct, then several thoughts:

  - There are possibly three levels here, the aggregator, the secondary
file, and  (possibly) the primary file (publisher).

  - The price to the library includes what the publishing files want,
and what the aggregator wants. There hasn't been any mention about what
the secondary files feel about this offer, i.e. what impact does this
have on their contribution to the service proveded.

  - Certainly, if the inclusion of advertising will reduce the costs to
the library, great, but I don't think that that will become a panacea as
this area is unproven as a steady source of revenue to count on. So if
you can benefit now, probably should grab, but it may not last.

  - Where will the advertising display? Will patrons have to go thru
many screens right after log-in, or will the ads be dispersed throughout
the content according to information requested. How will the secondary
files, and the primary publishers feel about this. Will the patrons be
on eqiment that will allow them to accept these ads, and move to the
information they want in a timely manner.

  - Since there is little advertising in most esoteric literature, it
will be interesting to see what demands the advertisers put on the
aggregators to make this work.