Threaded Index

Re: Ads in online journals

One good argument in favor of allowing ads seems to be:
> I agree with Tony Ferguson; let Elsevier, Lexis-Nexis, etc.  carry
> advertisements. If it lowers the cost that my member libraries have to pay
> for content, then I'm willing to consider it, at least.

This may work fine for some publishers, and for some time, but should
perhaps not be counted on by libraries as a sustainable source of
reduced prices.  Online ads linked to direct online sales are very
easy to benchmark, and could lead to ad-buyers pulling out of
publications where ads generate insufficient sales.  Even though such
decisions will be based on more reliable facts than maybe any time in
economic history, it will not benefit scholarly publications whose
readers are intelligent enough to resist impulse purchases.

Lars Aronsson.
--
  Aronsson Datateknik           mailto:lars@aronsson.se
  Teknikringen 1e               http://www.aronsson.se/