Threaded Index

Ads in online journals

I agree with Tony Ferguson; let Elsevier, Lexis-Nexis, etc.  carry
advertisements. If it lowers the cost that my member libraries have to pay
for content, then I'm willing to consider it, at least.

I regularly curse a couple of popular print magazines to which I subscribe
because of excessive ads, but I also realize that the bulk of their
revenue comes from advertising, so I would rather deal with it and pay the
lower price. I think readers of scholarly journals could learn to live
with ads, just as we all do with other media. Keep in mind, however, that
ads in scholarly journals (print or electronic) won't have the same
financial impact as with magazines. Who's going to advertise in them,
anyway?

Adrian Alexander
Big 12 Plus Libraries Consortium
Adrian W. Alexander, Executive Direc
Big 12 Plus Libraries Consortium
Linda Hall Library
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City MO  64110-2498
VOICE:	816-926-8765
FAX:	816-926-8790
EMAIL:	AlexanderA@lhl.lib.mo.us

"The Congress shall have the Power To promote the Progress of Science
and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors
the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;"

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback